shhh... it's a secret

Saturday, January 9, 2010

My New Year's "Resolutions" v.2010

Typically, I'm not the type of person who makes New Year's resolutions. I don't believe that New Years can magically make people more motivated, ambitious or dedicated. I think everyone becomes those things when the time is right for them. That being said, it just so happens that the time is right for me, sort of. Over the years I have come to many different crossroads in my life where it becomes necessary to reevaluate my priorities and reexamine myself as a person. As I enter my last semester of graduate school, I am faced with numerous decisions about what path my life will take. (It would be wrong of me not to acknowledge that my birthday this month, the big 3-0 gasp!, is also playing a role in my recent self-reflection.) What goals do I have for this year? What are my career goals? My relationship goals? My life goals? Where, as a 30-year old woman, do I see myself? And how on earth do I manage to find the time this semester to work, complete my research, write my thesis, spend time with my family, maintain my relationship and keep up with the last season of LOST?

Discovering the answers to these questions inevitably leads me to more unanswered questions and bigger life issues to consider. With my head swarming with possibilities and overwhelming feelings of panic I decided to step back a bit, slow down and consider what is most important to me right now. I started making a list of the "little things" I wanted to accomplish and focus on. By no means does this bring me closer to answering those pressing life questions, but it made me feel better to compile this list of goals I can realistically tackle:

1. do a better job of keeping up on world news
2. be more adventurous
3. catch up on tv and movies I've missed
4. listen to more music
5. COMMUNICATE
6. get in touch with old friends and maintain better contact with family (as in on the phone or in-person, NOT via facebook, email or texting)
7. see people more often (at least once a month)
8. get my butt back into the gym
9. eat more fruits and vegetables, especially vegetables
10. drink more water
11. do things for ME!
12. do things for OTHERS! (at least once a month)
13. embrace my decisions and commit to making them work for me, even the not-so-good ones
14. NO LIQUOR (unless I am in the safety of my own home)
15. get in touch with my inner girlieness more often
16. continue to improve myself, career-wise (because a Master's just doesn't cut it)
17. ask for (and accept) help when I really need it

As a Capricorn, it is in my nature to be a strict planner and a highly organized individual. I have, however, over the years discovered that this doesn't necessarily apply to every aspect of my life. There are moments when I am more than content just letting life lead me wherever it chooses without considering the long-lasting consequences. Inevitably though, the controlling goat in me always rears it's stubborn head and insists I take back some control over my life. I'm sure over the next five months I'll manage to solidfy my long-term goals and move in a direction that will allow me to accomplish them... or not. As for right now, I'm going to continue to work on what makes me happy, try to figure out how to balance my immediate priorities and hopefully manage to keep my Tuesday nights free.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails