shhh... it's a secret

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Stephen King ruined my life.

Okay, not really, but he has made it more difficult to maintain a normal, functioning life. I love Stephen King (the author. I don't know him personally and couldn't say one way or the other if I love Stephen King, the person; I get the impression he might be a difficult man to love though, but I digress). I first discovered Stephen King in 7th grade English class... It was a "reading" day (opposed to a "writing" day), and I didn't have a thing to read. And then I discovered Mr. King and have been reading (obsessing over) his work ever since. Seriously, his writing is like crack, and I'd come by it any way possible. I used to "borrow" my older sisters copies, request the new releases for Christmas (because the timing was always right, and the best crack is crack you don't have to pay for. But dammit! Under the Dome was not under my tree this year!), and once, I discovered a very old copy of The Eyes of the Dragon in someone's garage and proceeded to relieve them of it (I really loved that book, and the first time I read it, I borrowed it from our school library, and they tend to charge you money when you don't return their books, so...). Well, to make a long story short (too late.*), I read a lot of King's books and have been for some time now. Moving on...

So, back to the point of this post, Stephen King's books mess up my life. I go through phases (benders?) where I become obsessed and so sucked into his tales that I can't. stop. reading. Right now I'm re-reading the entire Dark Tower series and I find myself counting down the hours until I can crawl into bed and rejoin Roland and his compadres. King's writings change my routines, affect my habits, invade my dreams (click here for proof), mess with my moods and emotions and turn me into an anti-social shadow of a person (was that too severe?). (Sigh) But oh how I love me some Bag of Bones (my personal favorite), Green Mile and Dark Tower. Not all work is created equal though. I can not abide most of his work pre-1984 (which was when The Talisman was published. Good book), but oh, what a sad, sad, day it will be when Stephen King really retires and stops writing for good (not this pseudo-retirement he's currently living).

I wonder if all of King's Constant Readers feel the same?

 
__________________________________________________________________________________
* For those of you unaware, this is a Clue reference. One of the greatest movies ever. I think I might have to watch it now.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails