shhh... it's a secret

Thursday, August 19, 2010

"To sleep: perchance to dream"

I lay in bed, and I sensed it creeping down the hallway towards my bedroom door. I peaked my head out over the edge of the covers and tentatively peered at the bedroom door. It was slightly ajar. The dog began whining in her sleep, and my heart began to flutter in my chest. I felt it getting closer. The door silently creeped open. The fear inside me escalated as the tall shadowy figure appeared. To describe it as tall would be a lie. It was looming, and it filled the doorway with a darkness that turned my insides to ice. I buried myself deeper within the covers and wished the shape away. As the shadow figure hungrily absorbed the ambient light, it rippled and pulsed, stealthy taking on a human form. The dog whimpered and then awoke. She issued a tentative and nervous bark. The shadow dissipated, the light returned to the hallway, and I breathed a breath I didn't know I had been holding.
I'm not sleeping well lately. It seems insomnia has come to visit once again. On the one hand, my creative spirit tends to emerge during these times in my life. On the other, so do my headaches. I spend my days trying to be rid of the pain and my nights trying to be rid of my wakefulness. When I do sleep it's never for long, and it certainly isn't restful. I'm haunted by dreams that border on nightmares, and I suffer hallucinations the likes of the one above. As I'm riding out this sleepless wave, rest assured that while I may not be present here, I am silently creating in my real world. I hope to be back soon.

(And while I'm away, check out some lovely Etsy finds today at The Bittersweet BlondeIt's Etsy time!)
(by elista via Etsy)

8 comments:

Krista said...

Was this last night? Because I had a very similar experience as I was going to bed last night. I had the sudden urge to immediately jump up on my bed and get my feet off the floor (in case there was anything UNDER the bed, of course). But I could not get the damn curtains to cooperate and close quickly enough, thus resulting in a near panic attack!

hiphophippie.com said...

Uuuuugh, I'm so sorry! I suffer from insomnia too. Torture.

Sending soporific vibes.

cbs111 said...

It seems to be going around. Enjoy your creative time!

April said...

@Krista- It was actually two nights ago. Last night was the glowing purple light floating down the hallway. Or was it three nights ago and two for the purple light...? What's today again?

@hiphophippie- Thanks for the vibes!

@cbs111- Thanks!

Krista said...

Excuse me? Glowing purple light? I must hear this story.

McGriddle Pants said...

I'm lacking in funny/interesting things to leave in comments. I assure you I'm reading. Just quiet.

Good luck, and get some rest. Maybe not sleep, but at least some rest :)

Krista said...

I feel as though you have been gone forever. Come back, OBG! Come back!

Didactic Pirate said...

Gah! The first part of this freaked me out.
I've heard vodka works really well for insomnia. Doesn't help with headaches, though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails