shhh... it's a secret

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dear computer...

Dear Computer:
I know we've been through a lot over the years, and you're not getting any younger. You've been dropped more times than I'd like too admit, and we just recently survived your first virus. I know as you age you're getting cranky, dirty, and the daily wear and tear I subject you to is deplorable. Your hinges aren't as tight as they once were, and your casing is beginning to fall apart at the seams. I force you to work with half-broken, sub-standard power cords and yet you still push through. Although you're not as quick on your feet as you once were, your perseverance is quite admirable. Your dedication and commitment to my career and education are deeply appreciated. I force you to suffer through six hours of tedious Word, Excel and Publisher work while we navigate the headaches of working in a state institute and deal with the incompetence of people every day. At night, I take you home only to subject you to six more hours of Word, Adobe, Blackboard, Facebook, email, endless web surfing and Lost episodes as we attempt to survive the grad school experience.

Computer, I beg of you (and you know how I hate to do that), please, please, please just bear with me for, oh, about three more months. If we can make it through these last three months of grad school, I promise to treat you to an early summer vacation. I won't keep you up into the wee hours of the morning, typing away at the overdue homework I've been putting off. I won't force you to deal with the nightmares of Blackboard and the headaches of incompatible Adobe files. In fact, I won't even force you to struggle through my Netflix fixes and musical Pandora adventures; I know how taxing they are on you.

This is all I ask of you, Computer. Just three more months. Three more months! And then you will be looking at the finest days of retirement any computer would dream of. Thank you.

Truly yours,
Me

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails