shhh... it's a secret

Monday, April 19, 2010

If the fish curl fits...

                         
I know, I know, I know. I already posted today, but that was a lame-o post that probably belongs elsewhere (In fact, I did move it. You can now find it here. The bitterness was just too much for OBG.). I just had a moment that made me declare, out loud (and to myself), "I'm fickle." This, of course, reminded me of this little guy:

 (Source)

Remember this? The Fortune Teller Miracle Fish? It's purpose was to indicate your "romantic state." You placed the fish on your palm and watched how he curled up (or not). The way he curled told you if you were experiencing "jealousy", "indifference", "love", "fickle", "false", "passion", or the dreaded "dead one."

I had one of these for YEARS. I kept him in the top drawer of my dresser and referred to him often. I can't recall where he came from, but I DO recall that he always gave me the same results (much like mood rings, which always turned black for me).

Yup! That's right. I was always "fickle".
   

fick·le

[fik-uhl]
–adjective
1. likely to change, esp. due to caprice, irresolution, or instability; casually changeable: fickle weather.
2. not constant or loyal in affections: a fickle lover.
   
Uh... yup! That would be me! And to think, that little red cellophane fish knew all along. Hey, at least it wasn't "dead one". There may be hope for me yet.

I probably could have saved myself (and others) years of trouble if I had just listened to my fish instead of getting pissed off at him and shoving him in my mouth every time he curled up "fickle" (yes, I actually put him in my mouth when I was mad at him. It seems I have an oral fixation. I would prefer not to talk about it.)

(I think I might pick me up some of these. That way I will always know how other people feel. I'm a genius, I tell ya, a genius.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails