shhh... it's a secret

Friday, April 2, 2010

You say cheap, I say thrifty. Part One.

   
(Please forgive me for the plethora of lame-o post lately. In case you didn't know, I'm knee deep in thesis work, so right now, somethings gotta give.)

I had started working on a series of posts awhile ago that outlined my thrifty-style by taking a photo tour of my present domicile and exploring all my clever, cheap thrifty tricks. But then my computer contracted a virus and I had forgotten all about them. The other day, Hipstercrite posted the Broke Hipster Budgeting Tips which reminded me of my thriftiness.

I try to live very simply, especially since I move frequently and I HATE packing and hauling a lot of crap around. I have issues with needlessly spending money and will very rarely make any purchases aside from everyday necessities (like food and toiletries and coffee). I'm not sure if this is a direct result of my practically unemployed status or if I've always been cheap thrifty, but I very rarely spend money on anything and I NEVER pay full price for something I can get on sale. If it's not on sale or on clearance, no matter how much I love it, chances are I'm going to pass it by. Call me cheap if you want, but I have ZERO credit card debt, something that is quite rare and unusual in America today, and I am quite proud of this feat. Mostly everything I own was purchased on sale, was free, was given to me as a gift (which, if you know me, is a huge issue for me. I have problems asking for and accepting gifts and have yet to break my family of this) or purchased with a gift card (but still on sale). 

At any rate, here is Part One of my walk around my room...

(my little corner of the world. I do everything here. Eat, sleep, work, gold leaf...)


1. This is half of a set of hanging lights I picked up on clearance about 6 years ago from Target, or maybe it was Bed, Bath and Beyond. I can't remember. I do remember that I spent under $10 on them and they have become very, very useful and convenient. I can change them to match my various decor by wrapping place mats around them and securing the mats with pretty paper clips (the green flower print is original, not a place mat). Oh! And they can be disassembled. Which is perfect for me when I move because they flatten and can be packed away just about anywhere.

2. This is one of three originals from a series I created for a digital photography course I took in undergrad. It's the only framed and matted artwork that I own. My photo professor hooked us up with a woman who did the framing at a discount for college kids. It's not my favorite piece, but I sold one from the series and gave the other one away to my sister as a gift so this is the one I was left with.

3. Best decorating idea ever! These frames were made from stretcher bars that have been taking up space in my closet. The best part is that I can very easily disassemble them when I have to pack up and move again. And of course, the best items to cheaply decorate with are photos from family and magazine cutouts! Oh, and that little magnet man was a stocking stuffer gift from my sis.

4. I love these guys. They've been with me forever and have become a favorite part of my decor. The sock monkey was made by my grandmother. The brown bear with the smooshed nose belonged to my dad when he was a little boy. I've had the Cabbage Patch Kid since I was 3 or 4 and she goes everywhere with me. The orange-hatted beaver (named Barry, by the way. A name I did not give him nor would I have given him. My parents suck at naming things.) was the first stuffed animal I've ever owned. He was with me in the hospital (I was born premature) and wears my hospital bracelet around his neck.

5. Technically, this laptop doesn't belong to me, but I think it has become mine as I've had it for the last two years. I've customized it to meet my needs, and the owner has since moved on to better laptops. It's falling apart (most of the damage occurred prior to my ownership), but it's a trooper, and I know it's going to stick it out to the end of this grad school thing with me.

6. Good bedding isn't a big concern for some people, but for me, it is. Most of my bedding comes from TJMaxx, like this bedspread, my set of sheets and my pillows (not the throw pillows). TJMaxx is great for finding quality items at a fraction of the price you would pay elsewhere (gee, I sound like a commercial). The throw pillows currently on my bed are another great idea of mine (if I do say so myself). Instead of buying new throw pillows (which can be super expensive!), I decided to create slipcovers for some really old, ugly ones (okay, well, technically my mom made them since I have no sewing ability, but it WAS my idea and I did come up with the design, so...). The slipcovers are actually cloth napkins I purchased on clearance from Anthropologie (I got four for about $5!) and backed with a matching fabric I found at Walmart (I shudder to think that I once shopped here, but it was the only store in the area that sold fabric where I lived at the time. I'm not providing a link because I think they are evil and you shouldn't shop there).

7. These throw blankets were gifts. The off-white one has this cute heart-texture and was a gift from my grandmother when I was a teenager. I hated it at the time. I thought it was too country, but over the years I have come to appreciate it. The green down throw was a Christmas gift from my Aunt. I remember my sisters and I all got one, in different colors. I'm pretty sure we traded until we each got our preferred colors. This throw is so warm and comfy.

And there you have it. Part One. Be on the lookout for at least four more related posts. Hope you enjoyed this peek into my room. Hopefully it's inspired you to think of ways you can recycle/upcycle some items in your home! Oh, and if you're curious about the artwork in the top left-hand corner of these photos, you can read about them here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails